Bedroom fire prompts candle safety warning

0

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a candle safety warning, after fire crews were called out to a bedroom fire last night.

The fire occurred when a candle had been allowed to burn down in its glass holder, overheating and subsequently shattering the glass.

The Service has issued the following advice for the safe use of candles:

  • Never leave lit candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.
  • Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books. Never place on baths, televisions, set-top boxes or anything else plastic.
  • Don’t move candles once they are lit, and don’t let them burn right down.
  • Don’t burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot and dripping.
  • Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquefy when heated to maximise fragrance.
  • Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time.
  • Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur, including practising your escape routes.

A safe alternative to consider is artificial candles. There are many different types, including battery powered, but very realistic, wax candles with a ‘flickering’ flame

Share.

Leave A Reply

%d bloggers like this: