SAFETY: How to reduce your risk of a kitchen fire


A safety warning has been issued after Poole firefighters attended eight kitchen fires in the first quarter of 2018/19 – four times as many as they tackled during the same quarter of the previous year.

Several of the recent fires began when oil or other items, including clothing, were left on the hob, or appliances had been turned on and left unattended. 

Charlie Pack, Poole Fire Station Manager:

“Whatever happens elsewhere in the house, it is important to have one eye on the hob or oven when they are in use.”

Safety advice

  • If you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking either take pans off the heat, or turn them down to minimize risk
  • If a pan catches fire, don’t take risks – get out, stay out and call 999
  • Double check the hob and oven are off when you’ve finished cooking
  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the hob
  • Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone while cooking, and keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach
  • Hot oil can catch fire easily – be careful that it doesn’t overheat
  • Make sure you have a smoke alarm and test it regularly

For more safety advice, check out the Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service website. 


Leave A Reply