Earl Grey cupcakes with lemon icing
A tasty cupcake recipe especially for tea lovers. This will go down a treat this spring time and is unusual enough to get your visitors, friends and family all talking.
Write a review
- 125ml (4fl oz) full-fat milk
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 185g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (3oz) 00 flour
- For the icing
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) lighter mascarpone
- 300g (10oz) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon curd
- pared zest of 1 lemon or half/quarter
- slices of lemon, to decorate
- Heat the milk in a pan, add the teabags and set aside to infuse for at 20 minutes then strain.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/fan 160c. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 10 muffin cases. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric hand whisk until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and fold in the flours. Finally mix in the infused milk.
- Divide between the baking cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes until golden and risen. Remove from the tin onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing. Beat the butter and mascarpone together with the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and the lemon curd and mix until incorporated, then spoon into a piping bag with a medium star-shaped nozzle.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe with the icing in a swirly pattern. Finish with a little grated lemon zest sprinkled on top.
- Tip: Make the cupcakes the day before and keep in a sealed airtight container overnight. Keep the icing in the fridge in the icing bag then bring up to room temperature before icing the next day.
BH Living Magazine https://www.bhliving.co.uk/